Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Gift of Life

"The Gift of Life" - Alan Jones (An episcopal priest speaks of his daily practice in the art of "Contemplative Dying)

In my tradition we try to practice dying every day so that we ay be fully alive. What I understand of my prayer life is to place myself on the threshold of death, to participate in my dying, so that I may live each day and each moment as a gift. What I cultivate is a grateful heart; each moment then becomes a new thing. My gratitude comes from the sheer gift of life itself.

Who you are cannot be contained in what is happening to you just now. You are part of a love story. You are desired and longed for. There are thousands of witnesses before you who would claim that you are held in the arms of love. And I'd like to leave you with the prayer that one of the Franciscans left with me -

O my God, you are here. O my God, I am here. O my God, we are here. And always, always, always you love us. Always, always you love us.

May the angels of God watch over you; may Mary and all the Saints pray for you, and all those whose lives you touch, this moment and forevermore. Amen

No comments: