Thursday, May 14, 2009

Pet talk

My question of the day is: "How can some people treat their pets so great and themselves like shit?"

I was hanging out with my sister today who is going through some incredibly hard times right now, probably the most difficult times in her life. She recently rescued a dog from the Oakland ASPCA and has given the dog so much love and care that it touches my heart to see their connection. Right now, she is playing an extreme mother role for the dog. Since the dog essentially has post traumatic stress disorder from living in the shelter and having God only knows what kind of life before hand, she presents her trauma in the form of skittishness and fear. Whenever her dog becomes scared, she is quick to step right in and pet her to calm her down and say something like, "Good girl. It's okay. It's okay. You are such a good girl."

Not only does she comfort her dog, she praises and rewards her. I can't tell you how many times I heard her say, "Oh you are so cute. Aren't you just the cutest dog in the entire world. It should be illegal how cute you are." And whenever she does something good, she rewards her with a little doggie treat.

I wish with all of my heart that she could find a way to be that healer and provider of love and security for herself. She has gone through her own trauma, but has yet to talk to herself in the same manner that she does with her dog.

What if we all walked through life each day talking to ourselves like we do our pets? I think that there just might be some more people in this world who find a way to love themselves. I tell my roommate's cat constantly, "Oh, I love you so much kittle bittle. You are such a beautiful and wonderful sweetheart." I'd like to end my night saying the same thing to myself: "I love you so much and you are a beautiful and wonderful sweetheart." There, now that just feels good.

No comments: